When reading Nick Taylor’s article about digital libraries I
began to think about the benefits of it. I started thinking about the fact it
is completely accessible for everyone through the internet and also that it
would be good publicity for the authors. If people see their work and their
names they can go purchase the full writing in the please. Then I came to a
line in Taylor’s article that said, “that’s the devils bargain”. This played
with my thinking because I agreed with the whole article up to this point.
After reading this I realized that even though it does get the writers name out
there, but it probably is making more money for the search engine than anyone
else. Which was also stated in the article, and then I thought about internet
cite crashes and bad WIFI connections. If you live in the country you probably
understand what I am talking about. The WIFI rides the “struggle bus” out here,
and most of the time pulling up library websites is hard because they are
linked to so much information. Then there is the fact that no everyone has
internet access. There is a library in most towns, including the small ones.
After reading this article my thought process has been changed. Even though it
is a pain in the bottom to go to the actual library you know what the information
will always be there, unlike the internet. No worries about books crashing or
not pulling up because all you have to do is sit down and flip open to a page.
No comments:
Post a Comment