Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mother??

As I look through my English book at the different articles I always find myself stopping on ones with titles that interest me or get me thinking. So naturally when I see an article entitled “My Daughters Have No Mother” I got to thinking. I was thinking about maybe a father who had lost his wife, or maybe the wife had got up and left. Finally as I start reading Max Mutchnick’s article I realize that it is not that at all. He is a gay man who wants kids. This is not something that I commonly hear. I do not have a problem with homosexual people at all. You like who you like. Then as I am reading I see his controversy about his surrogate mother who he nicknamed “an oven”. This first made me mad because as a woman myself I would never want to be called an oven. As I continued to read about why he did it though I almost felt bad; Mutchnick had done this because he was feeling weird about asking a stranger for such a big favor. He talks about all of his other feelings of vulnerability, and many others. He said he feels bad that his daughters will have no mother, but he gives a great list of amazing things that his daughters will have. Some of these include grandparents to love them, cousins, and laughter to list a few. I am not saying that all women should be called ovens. No woman should ever, but I am glad that he explained himself. I see how these things can be hard on gay men. If they are fit to be a father they should have the opportunity to raise children just like all the other couples in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment